I would quite happily eat a burrito every single day of my life. I bloody love ’em! Mexican flavours and hot spices get my taste buds dancing and I wanted to share my burrito recipe so that you can all enjoy a super fakeaway treat night but without feeling the guilt. I know…I’m a good fella!
- 500g lean beef mince (less than 5% fat)
- Kidney beans
- 2 Sweet peppers
- 1/2 Tin of tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Herbs & spices – cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, hot chilli powder, marjoram, coriander
- Cheese – I used Parmigiano Reggiano
- Rice – Either brown rice or if you are in a rush, get a pack of Uncle Ben’s wholegrain Mexican rice!
- Wholemeal tortillas
How to turn those yummy ingredients into burritos that will make you smile (and possibly snooze if you eat two!): This is one of those great recipes where I can tell you to pretty much just throw everything together! Get in there!
- Rice on the boil. Unless you use an Uncle Ben’s or 2-minute rice. That can get thrown in the mixture near the end.
- Pan on a medium heat. Get your beef in there with a bit of coconut oil.
- Once it is half cooked add the peppers, the herbs and spices, tomatoes, puree, jalapenos and kidney beans (drained).
- Once there is a couple of minutes before everything is cooked, add the rice in there and mix it all well to soak all the flavours in.
- Serve with wholemeal tortillas
I also serve mine with my home made guacamole and tomato and mango salsa. The combo of these flavours is immensely satisfying!